Cards & Borrowing
Cards & Borrowing
- Library card applications are available at the Public Service desks. Positive identification with a current address must be presented to apply for a card. Applications must be signed by a parent or a legal guardian for children under age 18. At the time the application is made, parents are advised to read “Surfing the Internet.” Parents may restrict their child's use of the Internet by filling out a “Request for Deletion of Internet Privileges” form.
- Library card self-registration is available online for new, temporary cards. An email address is required. You will have 60 days to complete your registration at a member library and pick up your card in person before your account will be expired.
- Positive ID must be presented for a replacement card to be issued. The cost of a replacement card is $1.00
- First time borrowers are limited to one item.
Borrowing & Renewals
- When borrowing items from the library, please show your library card. Other positive ID (i.e. driver's license) may be used. Parents may show ID to borrow on a child's card, but not on a spouse's card.
- Items NOT on reserve may be renewed by phone, online and in-person.
- Borrowing is limited to 75 items.
- See Summary of Borrowing Guidelines below for renewal limits.
- Library cards may be used at other member libraries in the Southern Adirondack and Mohawk Valley Library Systems. Check with the library you wish to borrow from about their borrowing policies.
- Library materials may be returned at other member libraries, unless stated otherwise.
- Fines are not charged for days when the library is closed. Items returned in the book drops when the library is closed are considered returned the last day the library was open. Both book drops are emptied several times every day.
- If an item is 14 days overdue, a notice will be sent. The item must be returned, and a late fee will be charged. Late fees vary depending on the materials, but will not exceed $12.00 per item. A late fee never exceeds half the price of the item.
- If a lost item is paid for and then found within six months and returned with the receipt, a refund will be returned to the borrower, minus a late fee.
- Accounts overdue for 60 days may be referred to a collection agency, whose fee will be added to the overdue fine.
- A damaged item that has been paid for will be given to the borrower, if in a timely manner.
- Partial payments may be made on fines, but only the full price of lost or damaged items and collection agency fees will be accepted. A borrower's card may not be used if fines are $5.00 or more.
- $1.00 will be charged for lost or damaged tag.
- Credit Cards (Visa and Master Card) are accepted for fines and purchases.
- Patrons may not reserve books or other material if they currently have a fine on their card over $5.00.
- DVD's are for home use only.
- There is a $20.00 charge for returned checks.
- Reserved items must be checked out to the borrower who requested them.
- Cardholders should notify the library of address and phone number changes.
- If a card is lost or stolen, please report it to the Library immediately.
- Email and text notification options are available.
- Email notifications are available for:
- Program & Events Information and/or Notices regarding your library account. Only bills will be sent to your regular mailing address if you select this option.
- Register for email notifications either online or at the Circulation Desk.
- Please let us know when your email address changes.
- Email providers make frequent changes; make sure to check your spam folder or other tabs and move us back to your inbox.
- Text notifications are for holds, due date reminders and library card expiration.
- Register for text notification at the Circulation Desk.
- Texts are an opt-in feature.
- Texts supplement our current email/phone/mail notification system.
- Texts will be sent between 9 and 9:30 am daily. (You will have to check if the Library is open that day to pick-up items).
- Charges from your provider may apply; check with your carrier.
Summary of Borrowing Guidelines
(Borrowing is limited to 75 items per card.)
|Item||Item Limits (# per card)||Loan Period (#days per card||Renewal limit (# of times)||Fines (amt. per day)|
|Books- Fiction||no limit||28/14||3||$0.25|
|Books- Non-Fiction||4 per call #||28||3||$0.25|
|"Hot Ticket" Books||2||14||0||$0.25|
|CDs- music||no limit||28||3||$0.25|
|Disc Golf||2 per household||14||0||$1.00|
|Magazines||6 per title||7||3||$0.25|
|Audio/Books Sets||no limit||28||3||$0.05|
|CDs- music||no limit||28||3||$0.05|
|Interlibrary Loans (SALS/MVLS Libraries)|