Crandall Public Library (CPL) offers limited, free notary services to its patrons. Library employees who hold a valid New York State Notary Public License are available to provide notary services on site (no remote notary services). CPL notary publics are required to follow all New York State laws regarding notary publics.
Notary services are provided by appointment Monday through Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm at the Park Reference Desk by calling the library at 518-792-6508 x3. Walk-in appointments may be taken based on notary availability.
Patrons seeking notarizations must bring:
- Unsigned original documents to be notarized (recommended to retain a copy of the notarized document for your records)
- Valid photo identification:
- Photo IDs must be current, issued by a government agency, and include the bearer’s recent photograph, signature, and physical description. Expired identification will not be accepted.
- Any witnesses required:
- Library staff cannot serve as witnesses. Customers are not allowed to ask other library patrons to serve as their witnesses.
- In order to serve as a witness, the witness must be personally known to the individual whose documents are being notarized.
- All witnesses must bring valid photo identification as described above.
Notaries will NOT be able to notarize the following documents:
- Gun Sales
- Real Estate Transactions
- Any documents requiring verification of facts
- Any documents in other languages than English
- Post- or pre-dated documents
- True copies of birth, death, or marriage certificates
- Any documents requiring Apostille authentication
Please be aware that CPL notaries follow these guidelines:
- Notaries may decline to notarize unfamiliar documents or any notarization that would exceed the appointment parameters.
- Notaries may decline to notarize a document if they are uncertain of the identity or mental capacity of the signer.
- Notaries do not act as authorized representatives for employers to verify employment eligibility (specifically, USCIS Form I-9).
- Photo identification should be provided by all signers, even if the signer is “known.” Acceptable forms of ID include:
- United States passport
- United States passport card
- Certificate of United States citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Foreign passport
- Alien Registration Card with photograph
- State-issued Driver’s License
- State-issued Identification Card
- Uniformed Services Identification Card
- Notaries may not administer an oath to a non-English speaker.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse notary services at its discretion.
A notary public is not duly trained or certified to practice law. Therefore, notaries are unable to provide assistance in prescribing or determining the particular document a patron may need; selecting the type of notarization or certificate for a given document; preparing a document or giving advice on how to fill out, draft, or complete a document; providing legal counseling or advice in a legal matter that may or may not involve a notarial act.
A Notary cannot give advice or instruction regarding documents to be notarized and will not be involved in any transaction that the Notary believes to be false, deceptive, or fraudulent.
Additional places for notary services. There may be a fee, a need for an appointment, or other requirements. Please call the location for specific details.
The UPS Store Hannaford Plaza
175 Broad Street
Glens Falls, NY 12801
TD Bank South Glens Falls
99 Main Street
South Glens Falls, NY 12803