Volunteers assist Folklife Center staff in preserving and increasing access to historical research collections. Please review the Archive Volunteer Job Description below as well as the Volunteer Policies & Requirements. Then, if you would like to be apply for a volunteer position, complete a Volunteer Application and submit it to the attention of the Volunteer Coordinator for consideration. Applications can be dropped off at any Library desk, or mailed to: Volunteer Coordinator, 251 Glen Street, Glens Falls, NY 12804.
Archive Volunteer Job Description:
- Photocopying fragile and irregular-sized newspaper clippings onto 8.5 x 11 inch acid free paper.
- Placing fragile historic materials into folders, sleeves, or other protective enclosures.
- Filing newspaper articles, flyers, pamphlets and other materials into subject files.
- Shelving new materials within the serial and book collections.
- Identifying people, subjects, locations in photographs, newspaper articles and other research materials.
- Inventorying materials found in new donations.
- Indexing ledgers, scrapbooks, and other materials.
- Detail oriented.
- Neat handwriting.
- Good organization skills.
- Basic computer skills helpful.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks.
- Interest in regional history and culture a plus.
- Able to work independently with guidance from staff.